Share This Article: A Holiday Visit to Places of Worship in St. Augustine
The serenity of a glowing stained glass window, the warmth of heart pine ceilings, the swell of a hymn played on a pipe organ, the peaceful solitude of a garden, the quiet strength of a marble font – words don’t really do justice to the feelings these images of some of our most historic and celebrated spaces invoke. With that in mind, we decided to let the pictures do most of the talking. Whether it’s the beauty, the history, the knowledge, or the memories that touch you, may these photographs bring a happiness to your spirit.
For even more amazing photographs of St. Augustine Places of Worship CLICK HERE.
The rose window, added several years after St. Benedict the Moor was constructed in 1911, was a gift from the parents of a current parishioner. These Stations of the Cross, small reliefs that depict the stages of the death of Jesus, that line the walls of the sanctuary are replicas of the Stations of the Cross that hang in the Vatican in Italy. St. Benedict the Moor, born a slave in 1526 but freed at birth in San Fratello, Italy, joined a Franciscan hermitage in his youth. He was known for great works of charity and was canonized in 1807. This statue, however, is not St. Benedict the Moor. The icon is of St. Martin de Porres. It was donated by a parishioner many years ago to further recognize saints of African descent. Inside First Congregation Sons of Israel, the beautiful, historical stained glass windows were donated by the three daughters of Rabbi Jacob and Dora Tarlinsky: Sarah Bernstein, Florence Felden and Lena Lichter. In 1958, the windows were installed in the Sanctuary. The windows came from a synagogue in Atlanta, Georgia that was organized in 1887. This robe was worn by Rabbi Jacob Tarlinsky in the 1800s. He was the first Rabbi at the congregation, and he and his wife, Dora, are considered the founders of the congregation. St. Cyprian’s Episcopal Church was established in the late 1800s as a place of worship in the Episcopal tradition for former slaves and other African Americans in St. Augustine. The present church building was consecrated in 1900. The interior of the church,
with original heart pine wood and vaulted ceilings, dates to its construction in 1899.
Originally, the altar at St. Cyprian’s was most likely pushed up fully against the wall, and the priest would have his back to the congregation while preparing for Communion. The altar’s current location has a slight space behind it for the priest to face the congregation. The Historic Chapel of Our Lady of La Leche at Mission Nombre de Dios is framed by St. Francis and the beauty of nature. Grace United Methodist Church The rose window, located high above in the choir loft of Grace United Methodist, is often not seen in it’s entirety due to the angle from below. An evening stroll when the church is illuminated from within, however, allows an excellent view. The original doorknobs on the front of Grace United Methodist are shaped like pomegranates, symbols of resurrection and the hope of eternal life. The sanctuary lamp, as the story goes, was a gift from a Spanish ship captain who was caught in a hurricane offshore. He prayed to God to save him and his crew, with the promise that he would make a large gift of thanks to the church in the first port he came to if their lives were spared. His ship was filled with Mexican silver and, in keeping his promise, the ship captain had it hammered by local silversmiths into the lantern that still hangs today. It is one of the few artifacts that survived the 1888 burning. It hangs in front of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, which was added to the Cathedral during the 1965 restoration. The bell tower of the Cathedral Basilica of St.
Augustine, restored in 1888 after being burned
the year prior due to the nearby St. Augustine
Hotel fire, was added to the church by Henry
Flagler in a style that complemented his hotels. This fresco depicts St.
Photios (left) teaching
two missionaries, his
nephews Constantine and
Michael, who are known
today as St. Cyril and St.
Methodios. St. Photios
The Great, Patriarch of
Constantinople, is honored
by the Orthodox Church
for his extensive missionary work and defender of the
faith. Beeswax candles are
available for individuals to
light and share in a special
custom at St. Photios
Chapel. This tradition
started Feb. 27, 1982, on
the dedication day of St.
Photios Greek Orthodox
National Shrine when
candles were lit by the
Greek Orthodox faithful in
memory of ancestors who
started new lives in this
unfamiliar land. Built in 1921, Zion Baptist Church was founded by members of The First Baptist Church in Lincolnville who lived in West Augustine. The
church played a pivotal role in the Civil Rights Movement in St. Augustine and served as a location for planning meetings with Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. during his time here. The ornate window showing Jesus in Eucharistic vestments
with chalice and host is called “The Eucharist.” It was made by the
Jacoby Stained Glass Company in St. Louis, Missouri. Trinity Parish was established in 1821, soon after Florida became a
territory of the United States. It is the oldest Protestant church in
Florida. Trinity Episcopal’s organ, installed in 1967 and restored in 1999, is a 3 manual, 91-rank, Aeolian-Skinner (Opus 1482) hybrid pipe and digital organ. It has a magnificent full sound and versatile color that can be used for many styles of play, from French to Baroque. The set of three windows, seen through the organ, is called a triptych. It was made by Franz Mayer and Son from Munich, Germany, in 1890. Memorial Presbyterian Church Mr. Henry Flagler, his
first wife, Mary, daughter,
Jenny Louise, and
are entombed in the
Flagler family mausoleum
at Memorial Presbyterian.
One of the tombs,
intended for another
family member, is vacant
today. Father Stephen Langlade, a skilled carpenter, built the first St. Ambrose church in 1875. He built the altar, which was moved from the first St. Ambrose Church to the current church, which has served the parish since 1907. St. Ambrose Catholic Church
For a directory of places to worship in St. Augustine CLICK HERE